When I last shared my skincare routine, it included products I had been using for years, and they had really worked on my skin. But, fast-forward a year and a harsh winter later, and my skin is screaming for something else. Luckily, I ran out of my products just as I was starting to realize I need something different and stronger, if you will.
First, I needed something for my adult acne. I couldn’t figure out what was making me break out around my chin, so I researched, and instead of getting a prescription strength cream, I found this one from Peter Thomas Roth. I use it every other day, and it does a great job of keeping my skin tight and not oily, without drying it out. I also purchased this spot treatment, that works great against those gross pimples and doesn’t dry out the skin around it, also from PTR. Make sure to subscribe to SkinCareRX for when they have their 30% sales and include the PTR brand – you’ll end up getting a great deal.
Then, my mom saw me a couple of months ago and really ‘stressed the importance’ of starting to use an eye cream right now (aka my skin is starting to wrinkle). She also told me because of hormones, my skin was starting to discolor from the sun right above my lip (re: Melasma). She suggested this dark spot remover, again from PTR. I don’t know if it’s the lack of sun or if this product works, but I no longer have a mustache! FYI: if you do have dark spots, you should be using a SPF daily.
A few weeks after that, I wrote about this article by Byrdie Beauty that has an amazing list of very affordable products that also have five stars and over 1,000 reviews. I tried out a few of these products, and can’t wait to share my reviews (all good! and pictures of these four products are at the top of this page):
- This toner is AMAZING. Thayers Alcohol-free Rose Petal Witch Hazel smells so fresh (hence the rose water) and the apple cider vinegar gets your pores squeaky clean. Just make sure to get a travel size bottle if you’re a frequent flyer, because you do get a large bottle (great for your wallet!)
- Eye gel. I have used many, many eye creams, gels, pastes, you name it. I’ve always had dark circles under my eyes, and usually eye treatments end up making my eyes super dry in the morning. Enter Oz Naturals Super Youth Eye Gel. It’s cooling and refreshing when you first put it on, and by the next morning of your first use, you’ll see a difference.
- Vitamin C Serum is also something my mom recommended me using ASAP, and it just so happens that the TruSkin Naturals was on the Byrdie list for a very great price. So far so good! I use it after my toner, and I make sure to lather it all over my neck.
- Majestic Pure Jojoba Oil for Hair and Skin: This is a do-it-all oil that is great to have on hand. Use it on your skin, face, feet, hair, as massage oil – you name it use this oil! It comes with a regular top as well as an eye dropper, and will last you a while.
These next items are not from Amazon, but highly recommend:
- Tatcha: if you’re in the market for a new daily face wash and night cream, try out the travel sizes of the rice powder face wash and the silk night cream (both of these were purchased through Lucky Breaks.) The face wash is literally a powder that you mix with water right in your hand. As you massage into your face, you can feel the silkiness of the moisturizers along with the light exfoliation of the rice bits. You will notice improvement in your skin over night, the products last surprising long and they are a perfect size for travel. *Tatcha is currently on Gilt!
- Origin’s Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask. This mask is black (duh), it hardens on your face, then you rinse it off with warm water, and continue on with the rest of your skin routine. I bought it on a whim thinking that I had once heard that charcoal was a great ingredient for a face mask. As turns out, I would recommend this face mask over any other one I’ve found. My skin is so clear, so soft and so smooth, and the results really lasts a full week.
There it is! My million-step night routine. But really, this is the order in which I use them:
- Cleanse (or mask)
- Vitamin C
- Eye cream
- Acne treatment (every other day or so)
- Dark spot treatment
Remember – you have your skin for your WHOLE life. Take care of it, and make time for it!
Bottoms up to a dewy and gorg face,